This delicious, nutrient-rich salad is perfect for a light warm weather meal and the beans and bulgur provide a healthy dose of fiber.
Makes 4 servings
- 1/2 cup dry bulgur (look for bulgur by the rice or in the ethnic aisle of the store)
- 1 (15 oz.) can reduced sodium Michigan Black Beans, drained and rinsed, or 2 cups cooked, Michigan Dry Edible Black Beans
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Add bulgur and 1 cup water in a small covered saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Set aside.
- Combine black beans, chopped pepper, onions and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Add bulgur to bowl and mix.
- In a small bowl whisk together all dressing ingredients – orange juice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, cumin and salt.
- Pour dressing over bulgur and vegetable mixture. Toss gently to combine.
- Serve salad slightly warmed or chilled with whole grain naan bread.
Nutrition information per serving: 272 calories; 10.75 g fat; 36 g carbohydrate; 9.5 g protein; 11 g fiber; 169 mg sodium