A budget-friendly meal idea that is guaranteed to be a family favorite. Get the kids involved in the assembly and feel free to be creative with the ingredients so you can use up what’s on hand.
Makes approximately 8 servings
- 1 bag tortilla chips, approx. 13 ounces
- 1 (15 oz.) can, no salt added, Michigan Beans, rinsed and drained (kidney, pinto or black beans)
- 1 pound lean ground beef (can use leftover diced chicken/pork)
- 1 packet low sodium taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups corn
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cups shredded 2% Mexican cheese blend
- Light sour cream
- Diced tomatoes
- Diced avocado
- Preheat oven to 375∞F.
- Cook the ground beef over medium heat, breaking it up into crumbles; drain any fat. Stir in the water and taco seasoning and cook until excess water is gone. Set aside.
- Spread tortilla chips in an even layer on a large baking sheet.
- Spoon on the beans, taco meat, corn, olives, onion and shredded cheese.
- Bake for approximately 15 to 16 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and serve warm with toppings.
Nutrition information per serving (without added toppings): 519 Calories; 22 g Fat; 51 g Carbohydrate; 26 g Protein; 5.5 g Fiber; 775 mg Sodium