Cozy up by the fire with this rich and tasty pumpkin chili that includes Michigan Kidney Beans. The original version of this tasty pumpkin chili includes lean ground turkey. To make a vegetarian and vegan version, simply eliminate the turkey.
Makes approx. 10 (1 cup) servings
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- (clean onion & pepper with a soft vegetable brush under running water before chopping)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1-pound ground turkey
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) no-salt diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15.25 oz.) Michigan kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup frozen, or no salt added canned whole-kernel corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water. HEAT vegetable oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender. Add turkey; cook until browned. Drain.
- ADD tomatoes with juice, pumpkin, tomato sauce, beans, chiles, corn, chili powder, cumin and black pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
Photo and recipe courtesy of www.VeryBestbaking.com
Nutrition information per serving: 150 calories; 6 g fat; 16 g carbohydrate; 6.5 g protein; 5 g fiber; 224 mg sodium