- 1 pound (2 cups) Navy beans, sorted and washed
- 1/2 pound side pork (rind removed,) diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup catsup, or to taste
- salt to taste
- Place beans in a medium-size kettle, cover with water, and soak for 2 hours.
- Drain beans.
- Add enough fresh water to cover.
- Cover kettle, bring to a boil, then simmer until beans are tender (approximately 45 minutes.)
- Do not drain.
- Mix in remaining ingredients. Then place entire contents of kettle in oven-proof bean pot with lid.
- Bake in bean pot at 350°F for 3 hours, stirring occasionally and adding water as needed.
Servings per recipe: 4 to 6