Hot Tomato Sauce:
- 3 cups tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 4 green onions, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound dry Navy Beans
- 1-1/2 quarts water
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1-1/3 cups onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
To prepare Hot Tomato Sauce
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl, stir well.
- Cover and chill at least 24 hours before serving.
To prepare Baked Beans
- Drain and rinse soaked beans.
- Combine beans, water, beer, onion, garlic, and bouillon in a stockpot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1-1/2 hours.
- Drain bean mixture, reserving 1-1/2 cups liquid.
- Combine mixture, reserved cooking liquid and remaining ingredients.
- Stir well.
- Pour into 2-1/2 quart casserole coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered at 350°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Spoon 1 cup beans into individual serving bowl, and top with 1/3 cup Hot Tomato Sauce.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Servings per recipe: 9
Serving size: 1 cup beans with 1/3 cup sauce
Sodium: 453mg (780mg using canned beans)
1 lean meat