- 1 pound dry Navy Beans, soaked, rinsed and drained
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 2 medium onions, halved
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped
- 3 whole chicken breasts, skinless (about 4-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- In a large sauté pan or stock pot, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.
- Add beans, onion, carrots, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary and pepper. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, partially covered, for 45 minutes.
- Add tomatoes.
- Add chicken breasts and cook, partially covered, 45 additional minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts and de-bone; cut into 1/2 -inch slices.
- Place sliced chicken back into bean/vegetable mixture.
- Remove carrots and onions with a slotted spoon, chop coarsely, and return to beans.
- Add garlic and parsley.
- Return heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings if needed, remove bay leaf, and serve.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Servings per recipe: 8
Serving size: 1 cup
2 very lean meat