- 4 cups cooked Yellow-Eye or Cranberry Beans, drained (reserve 1 cup bean liquid)
- 1 small onion, peeled and stuck with three whole cloves
- 1/2 pound lean turkey ham, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons coarse-grain mustard
- 1-1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 to 4 drops Tobasco sauce
- 1 tart green apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Put beans in a 2-1/2-quart oven-proof casserole or bean pot. Place onion in center.
- Mix remaining ingredients, including reserved bean liquid, and stir into beans.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover, stir gently, then bake 30 additional minutes.
- Remove an discard onion and cloves, and serve.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Servings per recipe: 8
Serving size: 3/4 cup
1 lean meat