- Nonstick cooking spray
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (15-ounce) can Michigan Black Beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Strawberry hearts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Dust pan with cocoa powder, shaking out excess. Line pan with parchment paper; dust again with cocoa powder.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, the water, and canola oil. Stir together the 1/3 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a food processor combine beans, both sugars, vanilla, and salt. Cover and process until smooth. Stir bean mixture into egg mixture until combined. Add cocoa powder mixture to egg mixture; beat with a mixer on medium 1 minute. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cake layer in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack. Decorate cake with strawberry hearts.
Nutrition information per serving: 201 calories; total fat 8g; sodium 331mg; carbohydrates 30g; fiber 3g; protein 5g;