- 2 cups dry Black Beans
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Optional garnishes: chopped cucumbers, minced chives, diced bell peppers, diced tomatoes, toasted croutons, and sliced lemon
- Place soaked and drained beans in a saucepan.
- Add stock, onions, celery, carrots, and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer slowly partially covered for 2 hours.
- Purée the entire mixture.
- Reheat soup to a simmer, or chill soup thoroughly if serving cold.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Add more stock if purée is too thick.
- Ladle into bowls and serve garnishes separately.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Servings per recipe: 10
Serving size: 1 cup
Sodium: 375mg (715mg using canned beans)
1 lean meat