- 2 cups dry Navy Beans (or any other dry beans)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses or maple syrup
- 1 cup lowfat milk (or 1 cup bean liquid)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Starting with 2 cups of dry Navy Beans (1 pound,) clean, soak, drain, and rinse beans.
- In a large saucepan, add beans and 6 cups of fresh water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours.
- Drain the beans (be sure to save 1 cup of this liquid if you plan to substitute it for milk.)
- In a 4-quart casserole dish (10-inch diameter; 4-1/2-inch depth) combine the beans, milk (or bean liquid,) brown sugar, molasses (or maple syrup,) and salt.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)*
Servings per recipe: 6
Serving size: 1 cup
*Nutritional analysis used lowfat milk instead of bean liquid.