- 1 (15-ounce) can Light Red Kidney Beans
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 medium-sized carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium-sized turnips, peeled and sliced
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 large leek, cleaned and chopped, using all but the last inch of dark green
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 8 cups homemade or canned chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 thick slices from a large loaf of French bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chervil or parsley
- In a deep pot, over medium heat, melt the margarine.
- Add the carrots, turnips, onions, leek, and celery and cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 8 minutes. Do not brown.
- Pour in the chicken broth.
- Over low heat, cook, covered, for 35 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the beans. Simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon soup over the toasted bread in individual bowls.
- Lightly sprinkle with chervil or parsley.
Servings per recipe: 8