- 1 pound (2 cups) dry Navy Beans, soaked
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 strips bacon
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 peeled tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Drain beans, cover with water and salt; simmer with pepper, garlic, and bay leaf for approximately 2 hours or until tender.
- Fry bacon until crisp; remove from pan and crumble.
- Sauté onions in bacon drippings until golden; add pepper and tomatoes and cook 5 minutes more.
- Stir in oregano and parsley.
- Drain beans reserving liquid.
- Mix beans thoroughly with all other ingredients.
- Place in 2-quart casserole, adding bean liquid to cover.
- Bake at 350°F for about 1 hour, adding liquid if needed.
Servings per recipe: 8 to 10