- 1 pound (2 cups) dry Navy Beans
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 pound salt pork, cubed
- Place beans in boiling water (enough to cover) and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drain and discard water.
- Combine beans, 6 cups water and salt in crock.
- Cover and cook on low about 12 hours.
- Drain beans, reserving liquid.
- Combine beans with remaining ingredients and add enough bean liquid to cover beans.
- Cover and cook on low for another 6 hours
For a more traditional method of preparing this particular bean pot, try the following:
After soaking beans, drain and cover with fresh water and salt and cook until tender (about 1-1/2 to 2 hours) adding water if needed. Drain reserving liquid. Mix beans with remaining ingredients. Pour into 2-quart casserole with tight-fitting lid. Add enough bean liquid to cover beans. Bake covered at 300°F for about 3-1/2 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Add boiling water as needed during baking
Servings per recipe: 6 to 8