If you’re looking for a nourishing alternative to enjoy at your next coffee or snack break, try these wholesome, delicious muffins. The star ingredient is Michigan Beans which add taste, texture and nutrition to make a tasty and satisfying treat!
Makes approx. 16 servings.
- 4-1/2 cups (44 oz.) cooked Michigan White Navy Beans (can try other white beans)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons pureed pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups peeled and diced Michigan Apples
- 1 cup shredded sweet potato
- Preheat oven to 375∞F. Line 22 muffin tins with paper liners, spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Combine the beans and milk in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Add sugars, pumpkin, eggs and vanilla, cover and process until well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients except apples and sweet potato, stir in bean mixture until all dry ingredients are moist.
- Fold in apples and sweet potatoes; fill muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe Source: Zoe Fauble, Muskegon Area Career Tech Center