- 2 (19-ounce) cans Dark Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) jar no-salt-added picante sauce
- 8 cups cooked rice, no salt added
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat water in a nonstick skillet. Add onion, cumin, and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add spinach and sauté until wilted. Set aside.
- Combine Dark Red Kidney Beans and picante sauce together; spread 2 cups of this mixture in the bottom of 9 x 13-inch baking pan coated with nonfat cooking spray.
- Layer 4 cups of rice over bean mixture. Arrange tomato slices on top of rice.
- Layer spinach mixture, remaining rice, and 2 cups of bean mixture over tomato slices.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Then sprinkle with cheese and bake, uncovered, for another 10 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon sour cream on top of each serving.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Servings per recipe: 8
Serving size: 3-1/4-inch x 4-1/2-inch piece
Sodium: 896mg (540mg if using dry beans)
2 lean meat