- 2 (15-ounce) cans Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup homemade or canned chicken broth
- 1 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 4 strips bacon (optional)
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter or margarine and cook the onion until soft. Do not brown.
- Stir in the ham, blending with the onion.
- Sprinkle in the flour, blending.
- Add the chicken broth and wine, stirring well.
- Add the salt and cayenne. Stir. Cook 10 minutes.
- Add the Kidney Beans blending well.
- Place bean mixture in a casserole, top with the bacon strips, and cook in a preheated 350°F oven, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until completely heated and bacon is crisp.
Servings per recipe: 2 to 4