- 1 (15-ounce) can Pinto or Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin]
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 cup lowfat cottage cheese
- 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion, garlic, and green pepper for about 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Stir in spices and sauté 1 minute more. Remove from heat.
- Mix in corn, beans, and tomato sauce.
- Place 3 tortillas in a 2-quart casserole dish, arranging to cover bottom.
- Spoon in half of the corn-bean mixture and spread 1/2 cup cottage cheese on top.
- Sprinkle on half the cheese.
- Repeat layers, using up all of the ingredients.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Servings per recipe: 6
Serving size: 1-1/4 cups
Sodium: 500mg (990mg using canned beans)
1 lean meat