This salad can be made ahead and is a tasty family-friendly, vegetarian dish. Feel free to mix it up, however, by adding slices of cooked chicken or tuna. Makes 4 main dish servings
- 3/4 cup of uncooked farro (a whole grain found near the rice products in store)
- 1 (15 oz.) can reduced sodium, Michigan Cannellini or Navy Beans, rinsed and drained, or 2 cups cooked Michigan Dried Edible White Beans
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (5 oz.) package baby arugula
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- Cook farro according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cool running water.
- In a large bowl, toss together the farro, beans, shallot, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add arugula and feta cheese and toss to combine. Garnish with a sprinkle of dill.
- Serve with a whole grain baguette.
Nutrition information per serving: 421 calories; 17 g fat; 53 g carbohydrate; 20 g protein; 13 g fiber; 826 mg sodium
Recipe adapted from Real Simple