- 1 (15-ounce) can Dark or Light Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1/2 pound green string beans, cut into 1/2 -inch lengths, or canned green beans, drained
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup elbow macaroni or other small pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large stockpot, over medium heat, heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until soft. Do not brown.
- Add cabbage, celery, carrot, string beans, and potato and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add tomatoes and stock and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add beans and pasta. Cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is slightly chewy. Season with salt and peppers. Serve hot with a spoonful of cheese over each serving.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Servings per recipe: 12
Serving size: 1 cup
Sodium: 598mg (898mg using canned beans)
1 lean meat