- 1 pound (2 cups) dry Pinto Beans, soaked
- 1 ham bone
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup bacon fat or shortening
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped or 1-1/4 cups canned tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minded parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1 tablespoon (or more) chili powder
- Drain beans, cover with fresh water.
- Add ham bone, salt, and hot pepper sauce.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, for about 1 hour or until beans are tender.
- Drain beans and reserve liquid.
- Heat bacon fat in large skillet; cook onion and garlic in fat until golden.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook about 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Combine tomato mixture with beans.
- Add bean liquid as needed to achieve stew consistency.
- Simmer, covered, over low heat for another 15 minutes.
- Remove ham bone before serving.
Servings per recipe: 6 to 8