Makes 6 servings
- 1/2 cup dry lentils, black or green
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can Michigan Red Beans, rinsed and drained (or 1-1/2 cups cooked dried beans)
- 6 whole wheat burger buns
- 6 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- Bring lentils and 1-1/2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Lower heat and cover; simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- In a medium saucepan heat the olive oil, add onion, celery, carrot and red bell pepper; sauté 5 minutes over medium high heat or until vegetables soften.
- Add ketchup, garlic powder, yellow mustard, tomato sauce, vegetable broth, coconut sugar, Worcestershire sauce and salt to sauce pan. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and cover, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour red beans and lentils into saucepan and stir to combine, simmer 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve on burger buns topped with sliced cheddar cheese.
Recipe: Amanda Leatherman, The Fresh Chef