- 1 pound (2 cups) Light Red Kidney Beans, soaked
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Tobasco sauce
- 1 pound ham shank, cut into 3 or 4 pieces
- 3 cups uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped, for garnish
- Drain beans; discard water.
- Place oil in 4-quart pot and heat.
- Add 2 green onions, white or yellow onion, celery leaves, and garlic.
- Sauté until onion is tender but not browned.
- Add beans, water salt, pepper, and Tobasco sauce. Stir well.
- Bury Ham shank pieces in beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer until beans are tender, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Cook rice with water and salt according to package directions.
- Remove ham shank pieces. Cut meat from bones and discard bones.
- Dice meat and add to beans. Serve beans over hot rice. Top each serving with a generous sprinkling of green onion.
Servings per recipe: 4 to 6