- 1 pound (2 cups) dry Navy Beans
- 1 meaty ham bone or 1-1/2 pounds ham hocks
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2/3 cup mashed potato flakes or 1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon each, nutmeg, oregano, and basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Wash and sort beans.
- In a large kettle, cover beans with 6 to 8 cups of hot water.
- Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand 1 hour.
- Add another 2 quarts of cold water and ham bone.
- Bring to a boil; simmer 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Remove ham bone, trim off meat, return to soup.
Makes about 3 quarts.