- 3 cups cooked Light or Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed, or
- 1-1/3 cups dry Kidney Beans
- 4 cups peeled, diced pumpkin
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- To prepare the pumpkin, cut in half, remove seeds, and peel off outer skin. Parboiling or baking the pumpkin first may make peeling easier.
- Coat skillet with nonstick cooking spray and sauté pumpkin and onion for 4 minutes over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, and ginger, and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Add seasonings and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Add seasonings and cook for 1 minute longer, stirring frequently.
- Stir in water and cook for 35 to 40 minutes, until pumpkin is tender.
- Stir in beans and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)*
Servings per recipe: 6
Serving size: 1 cup
Sodium: 232mg (7mg if using dry beans)
1 lean meat
*Rice not included in nutritional analysis.