- 1 (16-ounce) can Black Beans, drained
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon green chili pepper, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, toasted
- Salt and finely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 slices fontina cheese
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- Lettuce and tomato for garnish
- 8 bread and butter slices
- Place beans in a medium-size bowl and lightly mash them with a fork until you have a coarse-textured mixture.
- Add onion, bell pepper, chili, cumin, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Divide mixture into four equal parts, then form by hand into four large flat patties.
- Heat peanut oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Fry burgers on one side until browned.
- Turn the burgers over with a wide spatula and place a slice of fontina cheese on top of each patty.
- The bean burgers are done when the underside is browned and the cheese is soft. (Note: Serve on open face whole-wheat buns. Top each empty bun half with a lettuce leaf, a tomato slice, and two pickle slices.)
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Servings per recipe: 4
Serving size: 1 bean burger