- 1 (15-ounce) can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2-1/4 cups zucchini, diced
- 1-2/3 cups red bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeded and minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 5 large fresh plum tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup Burgundy or other dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 5-1/2 cups linguine, cooked
- 1 cup plus 1-1/2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- Combine eggplant 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, onion, and thyme in a bowl; toss gently.
- Place mixture into a 9x13x2-inch baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir well.
- Bake, uncovered, another 15 to 20 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven.
- Add zucchini, red pepper, and jalapeno peppers. Sauté 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add all tomatoes, wine, oregano, fennel, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in eggplant mixture, beans, and lemon juice.
- Simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cilantro.
- Place 1/2 cup cooked linguine on individual plates.
- Spoon 1 cup vegetable mixture over each serving.
- Top with 1-1/2 tablespoons cheese.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Servings per recipe: 11
Serving size: 1/2 cup linguine and 1 cup mixture
Sodium: 190mg (480mg using canned beans)
1 lean meat