- 3 cups cooked Cranberry or Dark or Light Red Kidney Beans, drained, rinsed, and mashed
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 heaping teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup green olives, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 cup sharp lowfat Cheddar cheese, grated
- In a large skillet, sauté onions, garlic, and green pepper in oil.
- Stir in tomato paste and chili powder. Then add water, beans, olives, parsley, and black pepper.
- Simmer mixture, stirring, until heated through.
- Spread bean mixture evenly in a greased 8-inch baking dish or shallow casserole.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add egg, milk, oil, and green chilies. Stir mixture until ingredients are moist.
- Spread batter over bean mixture and top with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400°F for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Servings per recipe: 6
Serving size: 1/6 of pie
Sodium: 319mg (560mg using canned beans)
1 lean meat