- 4 cups cooked Pinto or Cranberry Beans, drained, rinsed and partially mashed
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 cups onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) jar green chilies, chopped
- 1 pound firm-style tofu, crumbled
- 1-1/3 cups Monterrey Jack or Cheddar cheese, grated
- Toast tortillas on oven rack at 350°F for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a deep skillet, heat oil.
- Add onions and garlic, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and liquid, chili powder, oregano, caraway, cumin, and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- Add beans, chilies, and tofu. Stir well.
- Spread a thin layer of bean mixture on the bottom of a large casserole or lasagna baking dish.
- Break the tortillas and spread half on top of the bean layer.
- Top with half of the remaining bean mixture.
- Layer remaining tortilla pieces, followed with the remainder of bean mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover tightly and bake at 375°F for 20 minutes.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Servings per recipe: 8
Serving size: 1/8 of casserole
Sodium: 240mg (570mg using canned beans)
2 lean meat