- 2-1/2 cups cooked Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 2 cups zucchini, diced
- 2 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2-1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté onions, celery, green onions, and garlic for 5 minutes. Add eggplant.
- Season with salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots, zucchini, and tomatoes; mix well.
- Add spices, herbs, sugar, and beans.
- Partly cover, and bring to a boil.
- Cook 30 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in bell peppers, partly cover, and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)
Servings per recipe: 6
Serving size: 1-1/2 cups
Sodium: 430mg (683mg using canned beans)
1 lean meat