This popular holiday dip is perfect for entertaining and we’ve added a tasty, healthy twist with Michigan Beans.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 (10 oz.) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup cooked Michigan White Beans
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 6 oz. reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup part skim, shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whole grain baguette slices, pita chips or crackers for dipping
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and simmer until mixture is hot. Drain any liquid from the mixture and transfer to a large bowl. Set pot aside for step 3.
- Add Michigan Beans to a food processor and blend until smooth. Add beans to spinach mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour milk into pot and return pot to medium heat; add cream cheese and stir until melted. Return spinach mixture and mozzarella cheese to the pot and stir to combine. Season the mixture with salt, and pepper.
- Cover and heat over low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. If dip is too thick, add a few tablespoons of milk. Serve warm with whole grain baguette slices, pita chips, or crackers.